Back To School !
Here is some information to prepare you for your time ahead at school:
They also should be able to:
- Read and comprehend main ideas.
- Retell what happened in a story including main ideas, details about characters, setting and events.
- Self-select just right reading materials.
- Make connections to their own background knowledge.
- Read silently.
- Learn the spelling of words.
- Use capital letters correctly.
- Use and understand contractions.
- Write stories with a beginning, middle and end.
- Be able to do basic research from a non-fiction book.
- Understand and use first-person and third-person point of view.
- Edit his or her own writing for spelling and punctuation.
- Determine the meaning of the new word.
- Phonetic Awareness
Kids in second grade math will:
- Learn about even and odd numbers.
- Use tally marks to count by five.
- Read and make graphs.
- Write numbers in word form.
- Add two- and three-digit numbers.
- Subtract two- and three-digit numbers.
- Know the order of addition and subtraction operations.
- Know the addition and subtraction fact families.
- Start learning multiplication and division fact families.
- Recognize patterns.
- Round whole numbers to the nearest 10.
- Know place value to the thousands.
- Understand money including coins and bills, counting, adding and subtracting money.
- Be able to measure length, weight and passage of time.
- Tell time to the nearest 5 minutes.
- Recognize two-dimensional geometric figures.
- Solve word problems.
- Learn about their communities
- Different regions in their country.
- Make predictions
- Find patterns in nature
- Learn about the Earth
- Learn about natural resources.
*Please make sure to wear sneakers on Gym days! *
Below is a copy of the supply list for the 2nd graders. I know a lot of you have brought in a lot of stuff, if you have brought it in already please disregard. It is important that the students have the materials they need so they have all the resources to have a successful year.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
First Day of School- 9/7
Single Session Dismissal- 9/21
No School- Rosh Hashanah-9/26
Back To School Night-9/29 @6PM
February 10th-The 100th Day of School
February 27-March 3rd- SPIRIT WEEK!
March 1st- Krispy Kreme Fundraiser beings
March 2nd- READ ACROSS AMERICA! -Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss
March 15th- NO SCHOOL!
March 16th-Krispy Kreme Fundraiser Ends
March 17th- Saint Patrick's Day: WEAR GREEN!
April 7th- NO SCHOOL-Good Friday!
April 10th-14th- SPRING BREAK ! NO SCHOOL!
May 17th- Single Session Dismissal
May 29th - NO SCHOOL - MEMORIAL DAY!
June 8th- Field Day!
June 9th- Music Concert
June 16th- No School
June 21st, 22nd, & 23rd - Single Session Dismissal
June 23rd- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!